The mission of the Big Star Screenwriting Competition is to discover the best unproduced screenplays and to recognize the finest talent and original storytellers from among today's emerging screenwriters. The Competition is sponsored by the non-profit Dallas Screenwriters Association, one of the oldest and largest screenwriting organizations in the country, celebrating 25 years of nurturing and educating screenwriters and advancing their careers.
An Apple iPad loaded with Final Draft and other software
A Premium Script Consultant Package with one of 5 great script consultants including Pilar Alessandra, Stev Kaplan, Danny Manus and Dave Trottier
1. Screenplays must be written in English, in feature format, and of a length no less than 85 pages and no more than 120 pages. (No exceptions will be made.) Screenplays must be in 12 point Courier font and pages must be numbered. All submissions must be in PDF format. Only online submissions will be accepted, and any revisions after submission will not be accepted. Deadlines are 11:59 PM on the posted dates.
2. Submissions must be the original work of the entrant(s) and may not be based, in whole or in part, on any other fiction or non-fiction material, published or unpublished, produced or unproduced.
3. The title page should include the script’s title ONLY. The entrant(s) name(s), contact information, or any other identifying information should not appear on the title page or any other page of the script. Scripts that contain identifying information such as writers name(s) and/or contact information WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
4. All judging will be anonymous.
5. No promotional materials, illustrations, or shooting screenplays will be accepted.
6. Screenplays should not have been produced nor optioned. Screenplays that are currently optioned or have negotiations pending and/or are sold before the Big Star Screenwriting Competition ends are not eligible for competition.
7. To accompany the online submission, all entries must include complete writer contact information where requested by the withoutabox system.
8. You may enter more than one screenplay, but you must submit a separate entry form, release form and entry fee with each submission.
9. Screenplays should be copyrighted with the Library of Congress and/or registered with the Writers Guild of America (WGA). It is the responsibility of the screenwriter to ensure that their work is protected.
10. All payments must be in U.S. Dollars and must be paid online through the withoutabox payment system.
11. Finalists and winners will be determined by a judging panel comprised of professionals in the film Industry. Winners in each category of this competition will receive Prize Packages valued in excess of $1,000. Refer to the category sections and/or the “about this festival” section for details.
12. Finalists will be posted on our website on or about July 15. Winners will be posted August 1. Winners will be notified by email.
13. Participation in the Big Star Screenwriting Competition implies understanding and acceptance of all terms included in this application. By submitting your screenplay, you acknowledge that you understand and agree to the General Rules, and to the Terms and Conditions listed below.