The Chicago Screenplay Contest prides itself as a community for discovering and developing talented new screenwriters from around the world. We hope this competition will continue to cement our mission - to support, discover and recognize the the undiscovered screenwriter. We wish you good luck in the contest; it's an honor to consider the work of tomorrow's voices of film and television.
All 1st Place Winners and Official Finalists from each of our 14 competition categories will receive a Pro Lifetime Membership, courtesy of Scripped. Scripped Writer is a Web-based software solution for screenwriters. Scripped Writer allows you to format your scripts to industry standards without having to download software to your computer. Access your scripts from anywhere, at anytime with any computer and an Internet connection.
Please visit our website for more information: www.chicagoscreenplaycontest.com
The Chicago Screenwriting Contest prides itself with the highest standards of fairness to all contestants. Read and follow these rules carefully to eliminate complications in the submission process including potential disqualification.
1. The Chicago Screenwriting Contest is an international competition open to entrants from around the world.
2. The submission process can be started here. Have your script ready to upload.
3. You must be at least 13 years old at the time you submit your script to qualify for entry into the contest. If you are under the age of 18 you must have your parents' consent to enter the contest.
4. Employees of the Chicago Screenplay Contest including directors, contractors, agents and their immediate families are ineligible to participate in the contest. Any such submission will be immediately invalidated. In addition, this contest is VOID WHERE PROHIBITED or restricted by any Federal, State or Local law.
5. Multiple submissions are allowed. Each script must be submitted separately with its own entry registration and entry fee. Submissions of the same script may also be entered under separate categories using our online entry form. Each category will have its own winners as well as an Overall Grand Prize Winner for the best overall screenplay in the contest from among all competition categories.
6. Submissions should be full-length feature screenplays (usually 80 to 120 pages) and formatted as a standard motion picture screenplay or scripts written for television (usually 20 - 75 pages). Correct formatting is most easily achieved by using screenwriting software built for industry standards. Books are also available that demonstrate the proper format. Do not show any personal information within the interior pages of the submitted script (name, address, etc). Contact information may appear on the cover or title page only. Remember to number your pages, but you do not need to number your scenes. This is not a production script.
7. Submissions must be original screenplays written solely for the big or small screen unless adapted from source material written by the submitting author(s) or with the permission of the author of said source material. Adaptions from material found in the Public Domain are also acceptable.
8. The purpose of this contest is to judge entries solely on the quality of the writing itself. Do not submit with your script any pitches, log lines, synopses, testimonials, casting recommendations, trailers, links or any other documentation wishing to support your entry. Such material received will be ignored.
9. Be sure your screenplay is perfect upon submission. No revisions, new pages, missing pages or any other alterations to the entry will be accepted once the contestant has completed the submission process. Any revised scripts you wish to submit will need to be submitted as a new and separate entry.
10. All authors of any submission must be listed in the online entry process. Up to 4 authors may be listed and only a single entry fee is required for the script. The first author listed should be considered the primary contact. Upon submitting the entry, all authors listed agree to the terms of the contest. Prizes such as cash, introductory meetings, products, and services are fixed and do not multiply for multiple writers of a single submission. Meetings with studio executives may be limited to two writers at the discreition of the partnering executives. All other decisions of division of cash and rewards are left to the discretion of the individual writers and their agreements among themselves.
11. Scripts must be entered in one of the following formats: [.pdf, Word, Final Draft, Movie Magic, Text]
12. Screenplay entries that have current options placed on them at the time of their submission are automatically disqualified.
13. All rights to submitted screenplays are retained by their author(s). Entry to the contest does not convery or transfer any rights to us whatsover. Although not a requirement, we recommend that all screenplays should be registered and/or copyrighted by the author(s) with an appropriate agency before submission. No submissions will be returned to the author(s) so be sure not to lose your file and ask us for a backup.
14. It is acknowledged that similar concepts, ideas, stories, characters or other elements may be embodied in more than one submission and that any overlap of such reasonably shared concepts, ideas, stories, characters or other elements do not entitle any entrant to any compensation or credit.
15. It is acknowledged that any and all submissions are original work of the author(s) listed and is not in violation of any copyright laws, trademarks, intellectual property rights or basic ethical standards of amateur or professional writing. Any entry found to be in violation of the above or to be proven to be plagiarized in any way will be immediately disqualified. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Chicago Screenplay Contest, as well as our employees, partners, owners, and affliiates, from all claims and liabilities and we shall in no way be held liable for any such legal action that results from unlawful or restricted submissions. The Chicago Screenplay Contest reserves the right to make any necessary changes to scheduling.
16. Once the submission process is completed and the entry is finalized no refunds for the entry fee will be given.
17. The decisions of the judges are final and may not be appealed.
18. We will contact winning writers via the contact information you provide to us in our entry form. It is the repsonsibility of the entrant to make sure that we have current contact information should your contact information change after you enter.