The goal of the Emerging Screenwriters GET IT MADE Short-Form Screenplay Competition is to provide an opportunity for writers like you to see your work produced at the highest quality and connect you directly to the professional film production process. Each season we will select a 3-5 page grand prize winning short and provide all the necessary tools and up to $5,000 to see it through production and a final edit. Then we will seek distribution on as many platforms as possible to showcase your talent.
Sponsored by the ISA and Canon and produced by Absurd Hero Productions, an independent Los Angeles-based film company specializing in narrative films, music videos & commercials, this contest is an opportunity for screenwriters and filmmakers to get their work MADE, at industry standard quality. This will be a stepping stone into your career in filmmaking.
How it Works
Submit a 3-5 page short-form script. Use your creativity to submit an original story that takes place in one location, with no major stunts, props, pyrotechnics, or CGI, etc. The script must be accompanied by a logline to be considered. Open to all genres, except animation.
Each season we will select the Top 100 shorts from all entrants.
Nine runners up will be eligible for raffles, which includes paid positions on the crew, free entry waivers, script consultations, on-set shadowing, and other offers and prizes.
One Grand Prize and nine runner-up winners are selected each season.
Grand Prize Winner
With a budget of up to $5,000, Absurd Hero Productions will produce your Grand Prize Winning short and consult with you through all aspects of the project – from casting and crewing up to shooting & editing. You will get the opportunity to be on a working set.
Your short script will be produced with a complimentary consultation from both the ISA and Canon, with access to the Canon Burbank space for post-production services.
Upon completion of your short film, you will receive a writer’s credit on IMDb and hard and digital copies of the final product for your reel. Plus, Emerging Screenwriters and the ISA will seek all methods of distribution available.
5 x PAID Production Assistant Positions including:
• Set Lighting
• Art Department
5 runners-up will be invited to join the production. Each will receive $50 per diem and an up close and personal look into the filmmaking process!
• 2 x FREE Entry Waivers
• 1 x Gift or prize from our sponsors
• 1 x Director Shadowing Experience – Learn from and personally assist the director of the winning project.
Action, Adventure, Biography, Children, Comedy, Crime, Drama, Family, Fantasy, Historical, Horror, Mystery/Suspense, Romance, Science Fiction, Sports, Thriller, Western
- Top 100Feb 13, 2019
- Top 10 & Grand PrizeMar 06, 2019
- Grand Prize Winning screenwriters of any previous Emerging Screenwriters GET IT MADE Competition season will not be eligible to submit to any further contest seasons.
- Screenwriters who have placed 3 times in the top 10 of GET IT MADE are ineligible to submit to any further contest season.
- Scripts must be the original work of the author(s) and may not be encumbered by any third party.
- Scripts that have been sold, produced for a profit, or are currently under option are not eligible.
- Screenplays adapted from your own self-published books, plays, or other source material are eligible if you have retained all rights to your work.
- Adaptations from other works are permissible provided you have the writer’s written permission to adapt the work.
- Adaptations of works in the public domain are permissible.
- Collaborative work is eligible; the writers are responsible for the distribution of the competition prize(s).
- Those that receive a free script analysis are not eligible to receive a free resubmission, which may come as an option with purchased script analyses.
- Emerging Screenwriters cannot guarantee your script analysis will be received within enough time to resubmit.
- The writer understands that a script analysis can take up to 90-days turn-around time and may not be received before the end of the contest. This does not affect judging.
- Prize packages cannot be exchanged or transferred to another party. There are no refunds.
- The Emerging Screenwriters/Absurd Hero consulting producers will complete the production for you. You must sign an option agreement and upon signature and payment, you are not obligated to participate in any way.
- The consulting producers will only be available in the United States, during business hours Pacific Time, and for a maximum of 2 pre-production days and 3 shooting days – for a total of 5 hours for each consultant, if needed.
- Emerging Screenwriters/Absurd Hero and its staff assumes no responsibility or liability of the production set or project.
- No cash substitute for the production services or any other prizes forfeited will be provided.
- Prizes, depending on the sponsor’s request, may be distributed in the rate of 1 package per person based on the highest placement and not per winning screenplay.
- Upon delivery of the edit by Absurd Hero, a Maximum of 2 Rounds of Notes will be included in the initial prize, after such time the winner will be billed at the rate of $75/hour for any additional changes.
- You may submit your entry and payment online only. We’re GREEN!
- Multiple entries are permissible with an additional discount entry fee.
- Once a script has been entered into the competition, we will only accept substitutions of new drafts or corrected pages if you contact us within 24 hours. After that, under no circumstances will we accept changes. If you wish to submit a revised draft of your script, you must enter it as a new submission and pay the appropriate entry fee.
- Writers under the age of 18 years old must have parent or legal guardian’s permission to participate.
- Competition applicants must accept without reservation the decisions rendered by the judges, which may not be disputed.
- Writer understands that it is his/her sole responsibility to register Material with the U.S. Copyright Office and/or with the Writer’s Guild of America or the appropriate agency in his/her country.
- Winner must give the produced short credit, such as “Special Thanks” or “Script Facilitation” credit on IMDb and end credits on film.
- Payments will be accepted via Paypal where all major credit cards are accepted, or through registrations on the ISA website, Film Freeway and/or Withoutabox.
- Promotional discounts do not apply to ISA or Film Freeway registrations unless otherwise stated.
- By entering this competition, and in the event you are declared a finalist, you understand and accept that Emerging Screenwriters, Absurd Hero Productions and the ISA will be free to use your name, likeness, and completed short project for advertising or promotional purposes without additional consideration.
- Contestants are under no obligation to participate therein. Upon completion of the option agreement, the project belongs to Emerging Screenwriters.
- Contestants may submit a feature version of their screenplay to any other person, competition, producer, agent, publisher, and/or organization and will retain all rights to their screenplay if a feature version of project is pursued.
- No agreement for compensation, other than the prizes, has been implied.
- Include a standard title page, listing the title of your script, name of author(s), telephone number, and email address. This does NOT affect the judging process.
- Under no circumstances should you include your name or contact information within the body of your script.
- The competition and its administrators are not responsible for any errors or omissions on the writer’s submission.
- Please do not enclose synopses, casting suggestions, letters, resumes or photos with your submission. They will not be forwarded to the judges.
- You understand that your logline and screenplay will be reviewed by our employees and/or our panel of Industry Judges for evaluation. You also understand that any one of these employees, or judges may have been or may be exploring ideas similar to yours, and you hereby waive any claim that Emerging Screenwriters, its employees or judges may have misappropriated any ideas or portions of your submission logline or screenplay.
- The writer understands and accepts without reservation that he/she is an independent contractor and that Competition Administrators are not responsible for withholding any taxes or payments to any government agency, at any level, be it state, local or federal.
- To enter the Emerging Screenwriters Get It Made Screenplay Competition you must agree to the Rules.