<

THE FORUM

Forum»Questions & Answers»Alternative to Final Draft?
Alternative to Final Draft?
For those of us brand-new to screenwriting (as of today!), and not ready to invest $250 into software we may only use once, is there something else?
Or, if we do the 30-day free trial (how convenient), will we still be able to use the script we create with it after the trial ends?

Good luck everyone!
(And happy holidaze, for those of you who find your creativity at the bottom of a bowl.)
Comment (10) Login to Reply privately Login to Report abuse
WriterDuet is perfect for dipping in your toes. I use Fade In which has a free demo you can download.
Login to Reply privately Login to Report abuse
248 week(s) ago
Dona General
I use Celtx. It's free, easy to use and exports professional looking PDFs. My favorite thing about it, though, is that it stores all my scripts online so I don't have to worry about losing them if something were to happen to my computer. Good luck finding a program that works for you!
248 week(s) ago
Dona General
I agree with Scott; although Final Draft is the go-to app because it is the industry standard. I suggest trying one of the free demo apps until you make the decision to commit to screenwriting. Be reminded that your data maybe lost or not be transferable to different app later on, so backup, backup, backup. Since this "free" course doesn't give free 'coverage' or feedback on your work assignments formatting isn't a priority so you can use any word processing app you have for the suggested assignments. Hope this helps.
248 week(s) ago
I use CELTx too. Have had some issues in past with switching from CELTX basic monthly paid plan to free access -- documents got lost or lost format. Also, their format seems to result in fewer words per page than the industry standard. But it's free! I've also just used a word processing program when I first started writing. If you do that, I suggest you use left-margin for every line and ignore capitalization format too, and reformat dialogue margins and capitalization as very, very last edit. Otherwise your edits will get bogged down in formatting details. It's best to use a formatting program because re-typing an entire script is no fun.
248 week(s) ago
WWW.CETLX.COM I find it easy to navigate. They offer a free service and a paid service. I subscribe to the paid service for $10.00 per month. I also use it for budgeting and scheduling and script break downs.
248 week(s) ago
I use and like Final Draft now, but when I started I worked in Microsoft Word. You can find easy instructions on how to set up formatting and shortcuts at http://www.awn.com/blog/how-turn-microsoft-word-terrific-screenwriting-program. Good luck!
248 week(s) ago
Fina Draft is king... However, If you aren't ready for it for whatever reason, I would recommend your typical Microsoft Word. This is how they did it back in the day and many great scripts had been written, so it is proven. Not to mention, what better way to learn Format? Final Draft will definitely spoil you. You'll be able to write fast, but unless you make it a point, you will not learn format.
248 week(s) ago
I use FadeIn. There is a free copy that is a fully working copy. the only real difference between the paid and free is that it puts a watermark on your script when you print it out. The full version is only$79.95 American. It can open final Draft files. It will let you load a pdf in and convert it the format. Just have to fix a couple of things.

I used to use Movie Magic Screenwriter but since upgrading to Windows 10 (worst mistake I ever made) I have had nothing with trouble with it crashing and freezing and the dictionary constantly corrupting and having to fix it so I quit using it. Am waiting for version 7 to come out this year. Almost bought Final Draft 10 but could not get the money together but then found FadeIn and have been using it since last year and love it. Best $50.00 (at the time) I ever spent. They send out updates and improvements every few months and it is all free.

So I recommend you give the free version of FadeIn a go and see if you like it.

Dale Gillespie
248 week(s) ago
Laura Michelle
Another vote for CeltX from me. I've moved on to Final Draft now, but keep it installed as a backup. It's always to work well. And free is always a bonus.
221 week(s) ago

To add a comment, please, log in first.

Login