<

THE FORUM

Forum»Daily Discussion»#30DayChallenge Day 2 - Story Bullets & The Beginning of Structural Writing
#30DayChallenge Day 2 - Story Bullets & The Beginning of Structural Writing
You've established your concept and chosen a logline - now the *real* work begins. Imperfect heroes, helpful allies, and that one real jerk - who have you been inspired to create today?
Comment (6) Login to Reply privately Login to Report abuse
Carlos Speziali
All the great material and exercises are really helping me create living and breathing characters! I think my main character started bleeding...
Login to Reply privately Login to Report abuse
270 week(s) ago
Tricia Tribble
I agree. This process is really widening my scope and bringing life to my little idea.
270 week(s) ago
What I like about this is that I think it is close to what I have been doing lately in my writing process, which is expand on the logline and the MiniMovieMethod and fattenn it out as I get more insight and brainstorming going and have quite a good detailed outline before ever going to the dialogue stage. Years ago my process was to have a vague outline and just go for writing the beginning and moving forward. Thanks #30DayChallenge
270 week(s) ago
@James Ridgely I'm where you were years ago! I write a synopsis and break it down into scenes and the (private) header of each scene is what it must say. I need a much tighter structure so that I don't write pretty little scenes that don't include the essential story elements.
270 week(s) ago
Apologies, it's @James Ridgley. (The Edit feature isn't working.)
270 week(s) ago
Assignment #1
Main Character – Charlie. A kid who’s had a very rough life. He has had nothing so he wants everything. He is intelligent, bold and a bit cocky. His status as a poor non-citizen is what is holding him back so he is fighting against it with all his might. He is afraid he will die poor and alone. He wants to be the opposite, rich and loved by many. All he really needs is to know that someone that believes in him.
Secondary Helper – Eddie. His cousin. Not a blood-relative but the closest thing he’s ever had. He’s a bit of a coward at first but over time he supports and even fights for Charlie. He helps Charlie believe in himself and becomes the conscience that Charlie later forgets.
Opponent – Martin. The mob boss' right hand man. A cyborg killer with a soft spot for his family both blood and mafia. The first mobster to meet Charlie by getting his ID stolen. He believes that it was a mistake for the boss to recruit Charlie and that he young man will bring the mob down. He wants to kill him but the boss insists that he Charlie’s skills are too valuable to go to waste.
Recurring theme – Charlie performed a ‘cleft’ or digital ID theft to meet and anger Martin. He does it again to gain entry to the mob. He does it to prevent Eddie from being killed, to gain favor to become mob boss after the boss is killed. He does it against rival mob bosses to grow his own mob family. He earns the title of “Coder” from the mob boss and the nickname of “Code” after he becomes boss.
-----
Assignment #2
Act I in three parts.
Part 1 - A young boy born into a work camps is bullied and turns to his mother for sympathy but it is not forth coming due to her deadly secret.
Part 2 - A young boy's mother dies and he is left to a stranger to care for him but he has little love for the man that has taken him in.
Part 3 - A street kid steals the ID from a man who turns out to be a mobster that tracks him down and only the boss, looking to recruit, prevents his death.
269 week(s) ago

To add a comment, please, log in first.

Login