<

THE FORUM

Forum»Daily Discussion»Villain in a character-driven horror
Villain in a character-driven horror
I'm having difficulty with the villain aspect of my script because, despite what my protagonist believes (that she's possessed by a demon), the villain is technically her mental illness. So when I'm doing these villain assignments, do I write it out as if the demon is the villain or her own mind. This isn't my first script, but it is my first attempt at a character-driven horror and I'm thoroughly stumped as to how to proceed. Any suggestions?
Comment (4) Login to Reply privately Login to Report abuse
Carlos Speziali
Maybe, it would be easier if you treated your protagonist's mental illness as her alter-ego, a different version of protagonist, in a "Man vs. Himself" kind of story?
Login to Reply privately Login to Report abuse
265 week(s) ago
Kimberly I think you're on the right track. Say you had a relative with dementia, who you still love and only wish the best for, but his abusive behavior is OTT. That's complex and gives you lots of room for exploration. It's the behavior that's the enemy.
265 week(s) ago
Reed Buccholz
Seems like maybe the villain in the story would be the psychiatrist that wants to lock your hero up in an institution.
265 week(s) ago
Hi Kimberly. Could you write so that the demon is the villain, then to reveal as a twist that the demon is in fact a result of her mental illness but not reveal this until later in the story. I think this idea may have been used before and a few movie suggestions may get offered but it may help. If it has, try another angle.
265 week(s) ago

To add a comment, please, log in first.

Login