<

THE FORUM

Forum»Daily Discussion»Logline - The Birthday Club
Logline - The Birthday Club
I can't decide if my movie is a drama with a lot of black comedy or just a very, very dark comedy with a lot of drama but here's my first attempt at trying to pin it down.

"The Birthday Club"

Kate, a control freak is dying to let loose. She just doesn’t know it yet.

After having driven away anyone who ever meant anything to her, Kate is diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer. Never one to let someone or something else determine how she does anything she decides to commit suicide on her birthday. But when tying up loose ends she dials her ex-husband and gets frustrated screenwriter, Daniel, instead, he smells the blood of a good story and talks Kate into letting him come over.
Comment (5) Login to Reply privately Login to Report abuse
Carlos Speziali
I love your concept, Anne!
I smell the blood of a good black comedy, maybe with a satirical element in there.
I say that because the notion of a character committing suicide to prevent others (people or circumstances) from determining her life is disturbingly comical to me.
I think you'll understand what I mean by that if you watch Louis CK's latest 2017 standup special, the part that he hilariously talks about how killing yourself is the best solution to all our problems.
Best of luck to you :)
Login to Reply privately Login to Report abuse
265 week(s) ago
Anne Alexander Sieder
Thanks Carlos! I haven't seen Louis CK's latest but I do like him.
265 week(s) ago
This reminds of the movie "The Last Christmas" only the main character was a total introvert and she decided to go out partying and doing everything she ever wanted to do, only to find out that the diagnosis was wrong. And everything she's really needed she finds in the man that followed her trail to another country to find her.

I like your premise but your logline should read more like this:

"A control freak that has driven everyone away discovers that she's slowly dying and decides to end it quickly on her birthday, unfortunately a failed reporter who wants her story won't let her commit suicide in peace."

I took a bit of license by switching the screenwriter to reporter. It just reads better to me. Feel free if you want to use it.
265 week(s) ago
Joshua Tousignant
Anne! Thanks for sharing!
I agree with Carlos, if you play with that element this could be hysterically funny. (tying up loose ends, meaning she wants to leave this earth with everything in tact, possibly even how people think about her, maybe catering off that social stigma of suicide... rough example: she's at a grocery store and she feels someone is judging her for buying some product, so if she's a control freak and this is the last EXACT thing she's gonna be able to control before her death, she's gonna want to make sure and maybe even pester the person judging her, trying to convince them that she is a certain way, when she isn't. I hope what I just wrote comes through clearly lol.
Also with Anthony, I believe his logline demonstrates a perfect dramatic increases in the stakes, and presents the story as a cohesive log-line. I can definitely see this as an idie. As for as figuring everything else out, that comes in time, so keep up the work and keep writing!
265 week(s) ago
Anne Alexander Sieder
Thanks to both you you, Anthony and Joshua. I must admit, Anthony that your log ling ties things up nicely without giving away as much as mine does! I don't actually think it much matters whether Daniel is a screenwriter, reporter or novelist. The main thing is he creates stories. Though I do like the perceived glitz and glamour that accompanies a successful screenwriter (he had a lot of success in in youth and let it all go to his head) and Daniel's idea of himself. I see reporters as being much more "earthy".
265 week(s) ago

To add a comment, please, log in first.

Login