<

THE FORUM

Forum»Questions & Answers»Will my pilot be viewed as part of the zeitgeist or derivative?
Will my pilot be viewed as part of the zeitgeist or derivative?
I just found out that my pilot, which I'm writing as part of the 30-Day Challenge and heretofore a fairly unique concept, is possibly similar to another series that MIGHT get made with a major star attached.

While I realize that there are only a couple of dozen truly different stories in the world, and everything is just a variation of those stories, there is a limit to what is a unique spin on these stories and what is just a copycat. It looks like my pilot, especially from a new writer, is derivative of the star's latest project, even though I haven't read the actual material, just the loglines. On the one hand, this is great because it shows there is an interest in my topic. On the other, maybe it makes me look like I'm riding on their coattails if their pilot gets made/ordered to show (although I am actually living the circumstances of both pilots, albeit in different locales).

Question: do I keep working on it, or hang it up because no one will touch it? Do I just pat myself on the back for having a table "at the Zeitgeist Cafe" and plod on, hoping either theirs is so successful the networks will want similar concepts (vampires, vampires, vampires!!!) or theirs never gets made, so mine still looks more unique? Put a different twist on mine? Wait it out with my script at the ready? I know I can write for the experience/practice blah blah, but I'm not a 20 something and have other writing projects I sidelined for this challenge. I'm having one of those oh, f*** days, like is this a sign from the universe that I'm on the wrong track.
Comment (1) Login to Reply privately Login to Report abuse
David Jadunath
Patricia,
Shake down what you are writing to see how much your plot
really resembles the competition. One salvageable fact may
be that your path may be different. Every writer has her own
perceptions and unique experiences, hence the characters'
choices that move along the plot. The journey is the thing.
Even though a movie or television episode has a predictable
ending, how the ending occurs is usually unique to the writer(s).

I would continue writing what I began. In fact, there are only
two real stories. Such is what Ronald Tobias, author of
"20 Master Plots" told me. There is an inner and an outer story.

Backtrack along your beaten paths and hear your voice.
The trails may be the same for all travelers, but the
thoughts, reflections, interpretations of lights and
shadows, and experiences may be unique to each
person.
Login to Reply privately Login to Report abuse
247 week(s) ago

To add a comment, please, log in first.

Login