<

THE FORUM

Forum»Daily Discussion»TV Logline Differences and Examples
TV Logline Differences and Examples
Hi all,

Open to anyone to answer, but I'm writing a TV pilot and have a query relating to loglines,

Can anyone go into more detail about the distinct differences between a first season logline and series logline? as they sound like the same thing.

Thanks,

Kris
Comment (5) Login to Reply privately Login to Report abuse
Daphne Lamm
There's really not much to it. A season logline describes the main arc within your season and a series logline describes what the series is about. Simple as that. The structure is the same, the main character(s) is the same, the only difference is that each focuses on a different timeline.

That said, with your season logline you describe the season as if it were a whole series on its own. Or a movie. If it's a serialized, it should be easier. If it's a procedural, focus on your main character's personal arc THAT SEASON, in a way that also describes what's going on around them THAT SEASON. Structure wise, use smooth transition words between the two parts of your logline, such as "while," "meanwhile," "until," "but/however, etc."

Think arc arc arc, Kris. That's the key.

I haven't listened or done the assignments on TV, because I'm doing feature, but I imagine you got confused thinking the loglines sound the same because the first season is what kicks off the series. In a serialized show (Like Breaking Bad. Was it one of the examples given to you, by any chance?), it sounds very similar, yes. But if you notice, in other seasons Walt isn't diagnosed with terminal cancer, he isn't expecting a daughter, his wife isn't a kleptomaniac, he doesn't even partner up with a former student to sell drugs (the fall out thingy). These are all part of season 1. On the other hand, expecting a daughter, for example, isn't part of the series premise while partnering up with a former student to sell drugs is.

So you need to ask yourself which parts of your story are season related and which are series related. Break it down. Some parts CAN be both, like in the BB's example. It all depends on your franchise.
Login to Reply privately Login to Report abuse
265 week(s) ago
Cindy Bell
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this too, even though I've gotten some fantastic advice so far. Where can I find examples of loglines for individual seasons of a series? I've looked at the IMDb, but they only list brief descriptions of each episode of a given series, which actually aren't written in logline format at all. Being able to compare and contrast the season loglines for similar shows would be so helpful in crafting my own.
265 week(s) ago
Kristoffer B�beck
Hi Daphne,

I got slightly confused because I've only heard the term series used in the UK, the term season is an American description.

I was told series and season are the same thing, so that's where I was falling down.

I got it now, just about! I'll keep writing it out and sure it'll "come out in the wash," lol
264 week(s) ago
Kristoffer B�beck
But thank you!
264 week(s) ago
Daphne Lamm
Oh, yeah! I bought some of my Buffy DVDs from the UK and Australia, and they say "series."
264 week(s) ago

To add a comment, please, log in first.

Login