<

THE FORUM

Forum»Daily Discussion»Where's everybody at?
Where's everybody at?
I know Max has done the calculations for us. But if anyone's interested, another way to make sure you're at the right pace is going by number of pages per day:

- If you're writing a feature, you need to write 5 pages per day (approx. 100 pages : 20 days = 5). You can also divide it into two sittings, and then it's 2.5 pages twice a day.

- If you're writing a TV pilot, then it's approx. 60 pages : 20 days = 3 pages per day. Or two sittings of 1.5.

So... by now (as I write this. Note the date and time) you're supposed to be at page 10-15 if you're writing a feature OR page 6-9 if you're writing a pilot.
If you're within this zone, then you're good! If not, you might wanna pick up the pace OR you may slow down.

Write safely!
Comment (2) Login to Reply privately Login to Report abuse
Hello Daphne and everyone,

The page count per day is the last thing I want to think about! I think I would use it as a motivating tool and yet I am super motivated as is. It's not wrong -- just, for me it takes my thought process into the incorrect head space.

What I have found interesting is how certain sequences I have filled out in the outline are so different in page count. I am writing a comedy and I work a series of scenes for a sequence and find, for this vomit first draft, that I went on a long comedy scene that I realized the more I milked, because of the danger to my leads characters, the more I could play with the dialogue. Which is great as some of my other sequences seems a bit short as of now.

Not that in rewrites this long scene won't be shortened... or maybe it won't.

I am enjoying this challenge and conciseness of the trigger, wound, flaw emphasis of this program. Thanks.

Great writing to you all.

James
Login to Reply privately Login to Report abuse
264 week(s) ago
Daphne Lamm
This tool is great for motivation when there isn't a deadline. But when you do, you'd better make sure you're at the right pace so this doesn't happen: "Shit! The producer wants to see the first draft tomorrow and I still have 20 pages to go!" Mapping out some soft of a schedule is essential, be it number of pages per day or number of hours per week.

I used 100 and 60 pages because that's the industry standard average. That way you still have wiggle room for unexpected dialogues and such. And let's face it, it makes the math easier.

Don't worry, with time and experience you'll be able to predict the length of your scenes better. For me, I stray quite hard from the outline when I work on the first draft. But it's all good, so long as we make it to the deadline.
Login to Reply privately Login to Report abuse
264 week(s) ago

To add a comment, please, log in first.

Login