<

THE FORUM

Forum»Daily Discussion»How Many Writers are still doing this?
How Many Writers are still doing this?
Hello Everyone,

Love to communicate and interact -- who is out there?? Just say hello.

If you have time after that tell us all a bit about you, your project, you pet cat, anything.

Thanks,

James

I have two dogs and 2 kids. And live in Sherman Oaks. Now writing 24/7 I still work as a Production Sound Mixer, when jobs come up.
Comment (13) Login to Reply privately Login to Report abuse
1 2 >
Molly Alexander
Hello James,
I am grateful for this opportunity given to us by the ISA.
I find myself proudly introducing the ISA to other screenwriters. I know I will be using many of ISA services in the near future.

I am working on my challenge. I am a bit behind because I have two other projects I'm working on and a day job.
I have been working on my 30-Day challenge project a few hours per evening and are pleased with where I am. I will finish the first draft in a few days.

Thank you for checking in.
Login to Reply privately Login to Report abuse
262 week(s) ago
Great Molly,

BTW - I am just one of the participants - not with ISA -- just a guy connecting with folks on the same path and in this #30DayChallange together - short as this window is.

Update for me - I looked over my scripts and found notes where their should have been scenes!!! Hahaha - thought I had done those already! More work. I've decided to also print out my version tomorrow so I have a hard copy to go into a serious critical look - see what I've missed or can get better.

James
262 week(s) ago
Molly Alexander
It is a process. :)
262 week(s) ago
Hi James

I have to say, I have found the resources, the focus '30 days' has given me, all immensely helpful. I have planned out the structure of my script more thoroughly than ever before. I'm certain that when finished, even my first draft will be the best script I've written so far, thanks to the #30DayChallenge.

The additional input on Pilot scripts has also inspired me to write a Pilot for an idea generated from this process.

All the best to you and all fellow 30Day challengers.

Ade
262 week(s) ago
I'm still working, albeit VERY slowly and very far behind. Working two, sometimes three jobs has left me little time to really sit down and work on all of this, and left me too exhausted when I DO have the time, but I came into this project more for learning than creating I guess anyway. This is the very first venture into actual screenwriting and I went into this with the goal of simply learning as opposed to coming out of it with a fully written script. I'm definitely learning a lot from this process, but still think I need more knowledge and such before I can really sit down and craft a script that may be worth reading. But this course has given my efforts of diving into the world of film/tv writing a huge send off so even if it takes me the extra month they're leaving this course available for, I'll still be working through all the lessons (I'm only on day 5 still...) to give me insights to keep in mind as I seek out further resources to learn the craft before sitting down and writing a full script.

Good luck to everyone else!! Hope you're all enjoying it/getting as much out of this as I am!

Cheers,
Danielle
262 week(s) ago
Danielle,

I am not with ISA or this 30 day course - just doing it and I have been to a few of their thursday night events in Los ANgeles - which are really good if you get the chance.

I think it's great you know what you want to get out of it! Nothing wrong with using it for what your needs and restrictions are.

Remember on U-tube there are tons of tutorials and even on this ISA site.

I hope you do well and keep with it.

James
262 week(s) ago
Ade,

Very cool. A pilot idea also! I had a dream the other night which could be another feature combined with another idea.

Good luck.

James
262 week(s) ago
Daphne Lamm
First I have to say Ė taking up the challenge was SUCH a great decision.

Coming into this, I wanted to take a step up. I wanted to challenge myself and write a solid first draft in an extremely short amount of time. Scary, considering that Iím a perfectionist and I go back to edit and rewrite while I write Ė which would usually result in taking more time to finish a first draft. Duh.

But I wanted to prove to myself that I can pull this off. I wanted to prove that I can work as a professional writer. So I trusted my time management abilities and the fact that I never allow myself to miss deadlines Ė and jumped in.

And Iím doing it! I havenít missed a single deadline, even surprising myself! Iím now at page 81, Iím supposed to finish right on time. In a way, everything Iíve learned in the past 5-6 years writing screenplays comes down to this challenge.

The biggest surprise, however, was the fact that the tight deadlines Iíve set for myself (two deadlines per day) donít even feel tight. At all. I feel like I have more time than ever lol. Isnít that weird?! As a result, though, I feel happier. Iím proud of myselfÖ And now Iím starting to feel like a walking clichť. But seriously.

All in all, this experience has been healthy and satisfying as hell. Knowing myself, Iím not sure I wouldíve pulled it off without any prior experience Ė so kudos to all the first-timers who are still in this, especially my fellow perfectionists, even if you donít make it to the deadline. I know how hard it can be.
262 week(s) ago
Just returned after several days away. I have a truly great excuse. I had to report for jury duty, and not just at the county seat, but at the big city federal courthouse! Fortunately, it was only one day but it left my plans and schedule in complete disarray. I have made considerable progress and I'm not going to try to catch up but just get back to the pace I was working before.
262 week(s) ago
Ngaire Genge
I was lucky during the 30 days, hitting two long weekends in the process. I actually completed the first draft in 18 days. It is horrible, of course, but, I have pages to work on, which is always satisfying.

The lessons, all interesting in their own way, kept my head in the game on a regular schedule, and many provided prompts I could immediately take back to my completed pages. Ugly as the first draft is, I like it. It'll be fun to drag it kicking and screaming through those re-writes to come!

Been a great opportunity. Many thanks to ISA and Max and all those who contributed to compiling the course.
262 week(s) ago
1 2 >

To add a comment, please, log in first.

Login