<

THE FORUM

Forum»Questions & Answers»Hi, I would like to know if the secondary helper has to stop at just one character, is it possible to have more than one helper or indeed villain as the hero goes on his journey ?
Hi, I would like to know if the secondary helper has to stop at just one character, is it possible to have more than one helper or indeed villain as the hero goes on his journey ?
I saw this post from several weeks ago but did not find a definitive answer for it. I would like my MC to have two secondary helpers to assist in the journey. One friend and one therapist, both being essential to the transformation.
Comment (1) Login to Reply privately Login to Report abuse
The 2ndary helper can be more than one person but, as with the villian(s) I think it's helpful if they share a commonality.  Like a group of friends helping or a group of villians - the Injustice League - the hero(ine) is fighting.  Out of the groups there should be at least one character who is more invested in the process or who is more invested in the outcome. This personalizes the character and allows for their clearer arc of change and evolution needed by main characters, that allows an audience relates to them emotionally. Often there is a romantic interest between the 2ndary and primary Character. Think the role of the Minister in the film "Contact"  - The main character in that film also had her father as a helper, at key points in the film when the 2ndary could not be with her. A 2ndary character carried internally by the Primary ( in Memory) can also be important because they are always there. 
Villans and helpers need to evolve, too, and it is easier to show one changing than a bunch but remember, a  change for the better ( or worse) can effect their group if there are more than one.  
Login to Reply privately Login to Report abuse
199 week(s) ago

To add a comment, please, log in first.

Login