Got a horror short screenplay? We want to read it.
Our winners will be read by a jury featuring over a dozen literary managers, producers, development executives, filmmakers, and even an iconic horror actress.
Prizes include guaranteed industry reads, Final Draft licenses for all Top 10 finalists, Shudder subscriptions, Creepy Co gift cards, rare horror memorabilia, and so much more.
Visit our website for more information.
This Year's Jury Includes:
Joe Bob Briggs - Film Critic, Performer
Sophie Carroll - Programming Manager - ALTER
Scott Stoops - Literary Manager - Good Fear Content
Julian Terry - Filmmaker (Whisper, The Nurse, They Hear It)
Chelsea Lupkin - Senior Programmer at Short of the Week, Filmmaker (Flagged, Lucy's Tale)
Glenn Cockburn - Literary Manager - Meridian Artists
John Zaozirny - Literary Manager / Producer - Bellevue Productions
Barbara Crampton - Actress (You're Next, From Beyond, Chopping Mall, Re-Animator)
Jenn Wexler - Filmmaker (The Ranger, ABC's of Death 2, Slumber Party)
Scott Carr - Literary Manager - Management SGC
Jason Tamasco - Producer - Bad Idea Films
Matthew Dartnell - Literary Manager - Writ Large
Zack Zucker - Literary Manager / Producer - Bellevue Productions
Krista Sipp - Literary Manager - First Friday Entertainment
The Top 3 Winners Receive:
Circulation and recommendation to our network of Hollywood managers, agents, producers and development executives.
Final Draft Screenwriting Software.
Waived entry to multiple other contests and festivals.
Framed Winner’s Certificate.
Increased rank on Coverfly’s The Red List.
Killer swag courtesy of Shudder, Final Draft, Creepy Co, Rue Morgue, Slasher TV, 1313 Mockingbird Lane Toys & Collectibles, Trick or Treat Studios, Fright Rags, Waxwork Records, Ghoulish Gary, and more.
Shudder subscriptions (1 year, 6 months, and 3 months, respectively)
VIP Platinum Memberships on Screenwriters Network (1 year, 6 months, and 3 months, respectively)
Plus, our 3rd Place Winner will receive 5 pages of in-depth analysis and actionable advice from The Script Butcher!
Top 10 Finalists Receive:
Finalist Laurels, Final Draft license, Creepy Co. Gift Card, Increased rank on Coverfly’s The Red List, plus, your script will be read by our panel of industy judges.
Semi Finalist Laurels, Increased rank on Coverfly’s The Red List, plus your screenplay will be made available by request to potential producers and filmmakers.
Quarter Finalists Receive:
Quarter Finalist Laurels, Increased rank on Coverfly’s The Red List, and 5 Coverfly Tokens for use on Coverfly’s free peer-to-peer notes exchange.
Horror, Mystery/Suspense, Science Fiction, Thriller
- Quarter FinalistsFeb 15, 2021
- Semi-finalistsMar 01, 2021
- Top 10 FinalistsMar 15, 2021
- Top 3 WinnersApr 26, 2021
1. Submissions are accepted via electronic submission only, between July 1, 2020 and December 15, 2020.
2. Entry fee for each screenplay is $20 until the early deadline on September 1, 2020, then $25 until the regular deadline on October 31, 2020, $30 until the final deadline on November 25, 2020, and then $35 until the extended deadline on December 15, 2020.
3. Feedback is not provided to writers at any time during or after the competition.
4. Entrant’s total earnings for screenwriting for either film or TV, produced or unproduced, must not exceed $10,000 in the past 12 months. This excludes any prize money from competitions or fellowships and only applies to fund or money transferred in exchange for an option or sale of a script, treatment, idea, intellectual property, or other writing for filming. Money earned from acting, directing, producing, or any other film work outside of writing is not included.
5. Screenplays submitted must not have been previously sold or produced unless said sale or production was competed with no financial gain to the writer.
6. Screenplays must be a minimum of 1 page and a maximum of 25 pages. Any submission longer than 25 pages will be automatically disqualified.
7. There is no limit to the number of projects you may submit.
8. Entries must be received on or before the deadline dates by 11:59PM Pacific Time, and submission fee payment must be made in full at time of the submission. All entry fees are non-refundable.
9. All submitted material must be original, and all rights must be wholly owned by the writer(s).
10. Material must be submitted by the writer. Material written by writing teams must be submitted by one of the writers, with consent of the other(s). All writers must be credited on title page.
11. If a writing team is chosen as a winner, prizes will be given to the person who submits the project. Each team is responsible for dividing or sharing the prize money.
12. The decision of the judges will be final and cannot be contested in any manner. There is no score on a scorecard that guarantees advancement to the next level as advancement will be based on all scores in the competition.
13. Killer Shorts reserves the right to delay announcements for any reason. Delay may last up to but never more than 90 days. While we never anticipate any delays, such delays will not alter the standing of any screenplay entry and will qualify no script for a refund under any circumstance.
14. By entering the Killer Shorts contest every entrant is agreeing to all Killer Shorts Terms and Conditions listed and available before checkout. If you disagree with any terms you may not submit to the contest.
15. Substitutions of either corrected pages or new drafts of the entered material will not be allowed. Please proofread your script carefully before submitting.
16. It is recommended that original material be registered with the WGA or The Library of Congress before submitting to any competition, however we do not require registration.
17. Any winners may have their name, script title, and picture used for any Killer Shorts promotions or promotions of our sponsors or affiliates.
18. Former Winners of any Killer Shorts contest may enter so long as it is NOT the same script that won in a previous year. Any other placement in former years does not disqualify the script from being entered this year.
19. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
21. BY ENTERING THE CONTEST YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND AGREE TO THESE CONDITIONS. You agree to release and hold harmless Killer Shorts, The Screenwriters Network, and its subsidiary, parent and affiliated companies, prize contributors, judges, screenplay readers, sponsors, and any other organizations responsible for administering, advertising or promoting the Contest, and every one of their respective members, directors, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) past and present from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to damages and negligence to property and persons, including but not limited to invasion of privacy, defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, copyright, infringement of trademark or other intellectual property rights relating to a participant’s entry, participation in the Contest and/or acceptance or use or misuse of Prize.
22. All ownership and rights to the scripts submitted to this contest remains with the original rights holders.
None added. Contact contest admin for details.