Kristi is a dual NZ/British screenwriter and script consultant who has been professionally writing genre screenplays since 2009 including: The award winning horror They Hide In The Dark; the optioned horror The Raft and the latest horror and festival finalist The Walls. Her first production was the first movie rolled out over Twitter, the pioneering transmedia horror, Hurst (aka@KarenBarley). She has also been hired as a script consultant for L.A production company, Philantos and contracted as Script Reader & consultant for the NZ Writers Guild. She was mentored by Kudos productions through the prestigious UK’s Red Planet Prize with the gritty single drama, The Board, which is currently in development to be turned into a feature film.
• 2010: Won her first award at the LA Comedy Shorts Festival for her short script CuckoO. Later that year, her first feature screenplay Unseen, won an award at the British Horror Film Festival.
• 2011: First work goes into production with the first ever movie rolled out over Twitter, a horror called Hurst (@KarenBarley) for which she received significant publicity and won the People’s Choice Award at the UK New Media Prize; and an endearing short comedy was produced for VM Shorts; Superheroes Anonymous.
• 2012: Hired on a commission for Ascension Productions in the U.K to rewrite a horror feature called Son of Man.
• 2014: 39 Days is optioned and developed by NZ production company Libertine Pictures (NZ) with Neil Cross (Mama, Luther, Crossbones) as Creative Director and Executive Producer; and is in packaging under the title The Raft. Re-optioned 2018.
• 2016: Commissioned by Libertine Pictures to co-write Neil Cross horror.
• 2018: Commissioned by Picture Start Films (NZ) to write NZ horror.